Wednesday, July 23

A new(?) idea

Does homosexuality have a purpose in nature? Somewhere recently I read that other species of animals (I cannot recall which ones) have evidenced homosexual activities. Apparently some people think that homosexuality may be a natural niche to help support populations.



The biological purpose of any creature in nature is to procreate, and so the vast majority of individual animals do. However, homosexuals don't tend to produce offspring. Instead, they take on the role of 'uncle'. This benefits the population because the organism then becomes an extra provider. Being entirely unencumbered by it's own offspring, it can be more productive and may even serve multiple younglings in the new generation.



I don't know what to think of this. On one hand, I am very captivated by any theory that is sound and fits in with the rest of the picture, but on the other hand, I think I have been taken in by the wrong idea because of facts I did not know. I do not think I am informed enough to know whether or not it is true.

No comments: